Monday, October 20, 2008

A Geek tragedy

I have a confession. I am a science fiction\fantasy geek. I grew up reading The Chronicles of Narnia, Lord of the Rings is my favorite movie, and I am a Star Wars buff. But there is a special place in my heart for Star Trek. I grew up watching Trek, in many different iterations. My mom was a major trekkie, loving TOS (that’s the original series for you non-trekkers.) I remember watching the premiere of TNG (the Next Generation) with my family, which is the one I fell in love with. I have seen all ten of the movies, some more than others, and I can explain the differences between warp drives, tricorders, phasers and photons with ease. So if you’ve heard of it, you might guess that I’m naturally excited about the new Star Trek reboot/prequel movie coming out next summer. It features new actors in the original roles, so we have Spock, Kirk, and McCoy at the beginning of their Starfleet careers. So when I saw the cover story on this week’s Entertainment Weekly, I had a geek overload:



But it was followed almost immediately by a spousal revelation I had a hard time digesting. Joy has never seen a Star Trek movie. She has never seen a full episode of any of the t.v. series. She barely knows any of the character names. She got Star Trek confused with STARSHIP TROOPERS! I am falling into a muted disbelief even as I write this. As this revelatory conversation reached a climax last night, she ended my ability to think straight with this zinger, “It’s all a blur for me. I get Superman 2 confused with the Empire Strikes Back.”
How this hasn’t come up in 10 years of marriage, I don’t know, but is there any doubt that opposites attract? I foresee some sci-fi indoctrination in my home’s future.

1 comment:

Joy said...

Oh, come on. It's not that big of a deal. You couldn't name the seven Von Trapp children, so there!